Saturday, February 6, 2010

Needle In A Haystack

"I'm not telling you this to get mad at you. I'm telling you this because I want you to shut them up." -Mikie

It did not start out so great at the beginning, even though I thought it was. I had just gotten my new AdiPures. White with gray streaks and a green outlining along the gray. They're a sight for sore eyes. And on top of that, Kikan had just given me his Chelsea jersey because it fit him too big and he knew I wanted it. I felt good in my fresh outfit and was ready to go play soccer at Campus. We got there and as always, I was the only girl. I've gotten so used to this that it really doesn't bother me.

Or at least I thought it didn't.

We played a 6v6 and within the few minutes the opposing team had already scored 4 goals on us. I could see Mikie's face of frustration as we were losing. The passion he holds for this game is so noticeable..more than the rest of us. Mikie passed the ball to me in the back, telling me to send it up to Isaac who was near the goal. I passed it and realized that my already pulled groin had just gotten worse. The pain was excrutiating but I had to hold it in. I stopped for a second to text on my phone when Totti came from out of nowhere and scored on us.

"Come on Amy! Are you serious?!" Isaac yelled at me. They all had a look of anger in their faces. I turned to see Totti and noticed he was laughing. He thought of me as a joke. He thought girls playing sports was a joke. I look at him with his oversized pecks that made him look gay and his feminine looking face, arrogantly smiling because his team was up by seven goals and realized how much I hated him. I hated him for being the kind of person that my brothers often become. I hated him because of the fact that no one could stop him, even though in reality he wasn't even that good. 

But most of all, I hated him because he was right. Totti--this immigrant from Italy-where essentially his nickname came from--knew that girls shouldn't be taken seriously. I hated him so much at that moment for being right. For seeing me when I was injured and unable to play to my fullest. I hated him.

Even after the game was over and we had come back and won 15-12, I still hated him. Even after I had scored 3 goals on him, I still hated him. I didn't like how he made me feel. Belittled for being a girl. He made my brothers not like me for being a girl and not being tougher. I probably will always hate him for that moment. For making me feel as if I didn't belong on a soccer field. That's the worst thing someone could do..

No comments:

Post a Comment